Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Zzzzzzzz

We woke up to Jon crying uncontrollably last night around 11. He promptly threw up EVERYWHERE. Then he seemed to be short of breath and gasping. I wasn't sure if it was due to all the crying or the massive amount of vomiting. Probably both! We got him to calm down a bit, and his sobs morphed into what I call a "Sammy the Seal" cough. That one came out of no where! He had been complaining of a sore throat for the last 3 days, but was perky and energetic through it all. No fever, no other symptoms, no signs of strep that I could see. I had decided to make an appt with his pediatrician if he seemed worse yesterday, but he was super hyper and said his throat didn't hurt anymore. Jon actually ASKED to go to the doctor last night, something he NEVER does!!! I was really worried and decided to take him to the local ER just to be safe. We got there at midnight and were seen fairly quickly as far as ER standards go. He was given a strep test that turned out negative (YAY!!) had no fever, and his blood ox reading was 100%. All good signs. The doc examined him, and agreed that his throat was a bit red and he had some swollen lymph glands in his throat. The doc wanted to put him on a short round of antibiotics to rule out a bacterial infection, which I had no problem with. He then stated that he wanted to give Jon a close cousin to the 'cillin family (which Jon is HIGHLY allergic to) and I was alarmed. The doc knew Jon was allergic, and stated that he thought Jon may go into anaphylactic shock, so he wanted to watch him for an hour. I saw no need to go through that kind of ordeal, so I asked for a different medication. It kind of floored me that at that hour, with Jon that distressed, the doc would suggest a medicine that would harm my son, for a bacterial infection that he might not have. We got a new RX for Zythromax, and I am calling the pediatrician later this morning. Whew! Jon seems perky again, terrorizing the dog already. So hopefully this was all related to his hysteria last night. I guess we'll see.
Kids !!! What an adventure!!


1 comment:

Jessica said...

I am so glad he's Ok !!